Library Biz

Friday, September 15, 2006

The Library 2.0 debate

I read 4 of the OCLC articles about the Library 2.0 debate, and while they are pretty interesting it was hard for me to generate passionate feelings one way or the other because I am not a librarian. Also I do believe age has a lot to do with your stand on issues like this. Most folks my age (and no, I won't say exactly what that is--use your imagination) will either turn a deaf ear to changes of any kind technological or have their feet halfway in both camps--torn as it were between the call of the new and the familiarity of the traditional. I do fall in the second category, but I am realistic to know that we can't hold onto the old traditions and survive. Nostalgia keeps me believing that there will always be a place for the written word, but reality forces me to question whether that belief will be sustained. So I will try to adapt, and for the most part I do find new technologies enjoyable and interesting. It truly amazes me how the world has changed since the computer revolution. And I do believe that, for the most part, it has changed for the better. Meanwhile, the debate rages on....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home